At 37 weeks, I had a feeling the baby was breech and asked the doctor to check. She did an ultra-sound, and sure enough! I was looking forward to my first all-natural delivery, so this was bad news (few doctors will deliver a breech baby naturally). She assured me he would likely turn on his own, but scheduled my C-section in case he didn't.
The search was on for an alternative way to get him to turn! First I tried crawling, then headstands, then swimming, then inverted poses, then acupuncture.
I expected acupuncture to be relaxing. It just felt like tiny needles being twisted into sensitive areas on my face and feet. Before leaving, she showed me how to attach incense to the sides of my pinkie toes, to be done at home once daily for 5 days.
When Sloan got home that night, he found me on the bathroom floor with smoke rising from my toes.
wacky!
and ineffective :( He didn't turn that week, so my next stop was the chiropractor.
Reggie's second week at football
getting a little better!
He wasn't the only one still figuring out the game
Meanwhile Sloan was at his 20 year mission reunion in SLC
with his Mission President
Luke's birthday - making a cake with Ruth, who so generously offered to clean the mixing bowl!
Sunday night cake & ice cream with the Mitchells and his primary teacher
his teacher Donna Baker - he has a BIG soft spot for her.
Luke's world: conscientious colorer

devoted storytimer
not afraid to be front & center
makes and cleans up messes
serious about his butter
loves to dress up & play with his brother

Reggie is a worker bee. Sloan hired him & Ruth to paint our fences.
They did an excellent job!
Goes big or goes home
Getting the hang of football
Then there's Ruth!
that's dad
She had an excellent volleyball season - made most of her serves & managed to get some good rallies going (not easy to do in this league!)
She's so long & powerful - love to see her go for it!
Also love to see her washing my windows!
On a date with dad to see "Owl City"
Before the date, I helped her get ready and encouraged her to spend time with dad, not just to go off with her friends who were also going. She got a little flushed & asked what I meant? I said, maybe you could hold his hand, or talk to him? She said "but what do I say??"
She might have a little crush on her handsome daddy :)
Ruth loves her white board as much as I did! But I was never so cool as to plan telaportation, black hole experiements, secret agent games, origami, or making up riddles.
here's Marta, who came to stay for the night & was down with the schedule
including a trip to the rec center pool
the next night we got to have the Mitchells come stay for a few days
love these kiddos!
And had a breakthrough with the chandelier dilemma...
Sloan was a good sport & stopped by Rare Finds with me to do a quick browse. I showed him the chandelier & he agreed it was too small and pricy. I asked the shop owner if he had anything bigger?
He said they just got a shipment from Egypt & had us follow him to the back. And there it was - the exact chandelier but bigger - and only $190! It had a yellow stain on the top (where no one would see it), hence the markdown. Are you kidding me??
Still working on paint colors
I gave Reggie the task of filling in the nail holes with putty
could've used a little more supervision :)
Breakfast at Snooze
always worth the wait (which says a lot-since the wait is usually 30-45 mins)
nearby park
and Nick's pumpkin patch
Friday night - pizza & popcorn
Saturday morning - football
these coaches have hearts of gold & patience for days
my sideline buddy
gettin a little sloppy (Reggie far left handstanding)
but he NAILED the decoy!
sidelines getting spooky
could've used a little more supervision :)
Breakfast at Snooze
always worth the wait (which says a lot-since the wait is usually 30-45 mins)
nearby park
and Nick's pumpkin patch
Friday night - pizza & popcorn
Saturday morning - football
these coaches have hearts of gold & patience for days
my sideline buddy
gettin a little sloppy (Reggie far left handstanding)
but he NAILED the decoy!
sidelines getting spooky
oh yes. it's happening.
after two sessions with my chiropractor, the baby turned at 39 weeks! It must've happened at night, because I was woken up one night by the baby, but didn't realize he'd turned till I had another ultra-sound. Prayers were answered! I set up an appointment with my doula right away. Time to get ready to birth naturally!
Crestmoor Ward's Trunk or Treat
Aja's puffy paint original was a big hit - hi ya!
Date with Luke
started at the hospital, then Larkburger
then Nails of the World for my pedicure
he was fascinated
and a little jealous
knows how to get what he wants!
Luvy & Ken arrive!
They came October 27th, 2 days before my due date (when the C-section was originally scheduled). I wasn't going into labor yet, so we took Ken downtown to show him around.
Lots of construction in Denver lately
We love to walk/ride bikes along the river
especially with our Luvy!
Getting the trailer ready for winter
At midnight on October 29th, my contractions became regular at 10 mins apart. By 6am, they were 5-6 mins apart, so we drove toward the hospital, and stopped at a park on the way to do some walking.
It was a beautiful morning and the walk helped move things along, so by the time we got checked in, I was dilated to a 6.
I got in the tub right away, hoping to avoid getting an IV and baby monitor as long as possible. My doula, Veronica, was a huge help in massaging and positioning me. Sloan was an essential part of my emotional peace of mind.
I labored in the tub for a few hours, and by the time I was out on the delivery bed, I only had a few contractions until I was fully dilated and ready to push.
After 4 or 5 pushes, he was born.
He was a pound and a half smaller than our other 3 babies, which was an unexpected blessing. And was healthy as could be. He scooted to my breast & latched on quickly. It was like he was saying
"Mom, I got this."
When they took him to be weighed, I asked Sloan to take some pictures.
This is what he got.
Nice!
Love these first moments with baby & Sloan
and then the party starts
love at first sight for Ruth
Reggie was excited too


But he was going to have some adjusting to do. Not only was there another brother to compete for attention with, he would be starting full-day Kindergarten the next week. Fasten your seat belt bud!
More Drew

Luvy & Ken held down the fort at home - Halloween parade
Ruth in her gorgeous Merida costume I attempted to start making for her a few weeks before, but thankfully Luvy was able to rescue me and finish it beautifully.
The wig is a bit much, but look at that dress!
about to bring Drew home from the hospital
Dad takes him straight to the man-cave
so soft & sweet

Trick or treat



































































No comments:
Post a Comment