Viva Las Vegan!

A few months ago I'd be shocked to hear myself say this, but I'm heading toward dietary Veganism. I still eat meat 2-3 times/week, honey and eggs, so Vegan probably isn't the right word, but I've given up dairy, so vegetarian doesn't do it either.  Plant-based is more accurate, but how enticing does that sound? 

Here's how I got here...

1) The Word of Wisdom
Revealed to Joseph Smith in 1833, it teaches us to refrain from harmful, addictive substances like alcohol, tobacco, coffee, etc. But it also counsels us on meat ("to be used sparingly; And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine").  Same is said for grains.  This puzzled me.  Why are we counseled to eat meat and grains sparingly, but in our culture we eat them most meals, most days.  I assumed that part of the doctrine was for people in the 1800's?!

But while living in New Zealand about 7 years ago, a man from Utah gave a fireside lesson on living the word of widsom by eating a plant-based, raw foods diet.  He didn't eat dairy or sugar, didn't cook his veggies, and if he wanted an after-dinner treat he'd eat a Medjooli date (that's when I stopped listening).  I knew he was probably right, but I was a new wife just learning how to make tacos and had a food budget of $300/month. That meant a lot of oatmeal, bread, noodles and ground beef.  Oh, and irresistible NZ dairy.

2)  My sister-in-law Lindsay
She caught on to the joys of lacto-fermentation and clean eating 4-5 years ago and has been a vocal activist despite some resistance from the family. At reunions she would insist on cooking the meals because of her total commitment to optimally nourishing foods.  She had natural yeast growing in Kerr jars on the counter, several bi-products of raw milk stored in tupperware in the fridge, daily dose of cod liver oil, and homemade condiments and sourkraut a plenty!

I loved her food, and after the 3rd day of withdrawals, my sugar cravings subsided and I felt great. But it seemed like so much work!  How could I convert to her ways of cooking when I was barely managing with baby #3 and 4 picky cereal-loving mouths to feed?

She gave me some baby steps, and I started making my own bread with freshly ground whole wheat flour and natural yeast, straining my yogurt to make whey for fermented lemonade and sprouting my nuts for enzyme-packed goodness.  These were good changes! 

But I wasn't losing any weight. I was off white sugar and white flour, working out 5 times a week, and at a stubborn plateau. I felt better about what I was eating and feeding my kids, but it was time to lose the baby weight. 

3)  Tiffany and Teisha
These are girlfriends I grew up with and have loved getting close to again the last couple years.  Tiffany is mom of 3 and teaches Insanity at Gold's. Teisha is a soccer-playing soccer-mom of 4 who started a "no-sugar challenge" group on Facebook. 

Conversations with these girls motivate me to set higher goals and stop sabotaging myself. They push me to get up for 6 am workouts and are open-minded sounding boards on the food topics.  But about 6 months ago Tiffany mentioned she was considering going Vegan and I hated the idea.  No dairy?  It sounded naughty.  Won't your bones fall apart?  What would you make for dinner if you didn't use meat?  I'm not sure I've ever made dinner without meat!?

But it got me thinking. I started noticing how much meat we eat and how few vegetables I was feeding my kids. Then my mom said something while visiting about how toxic meat is for us and to watch "The China Study" and "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" (as riveting as they sound, I haven't had a chance to yet... but want to :)   In October, I started Teisha's no sugar challenge on FB and lost 3-4 pounds.  Then I came across the Young & Raw 30-day meal plan on FB, I knew it was time to take the plunge.  I asked Teisha to try it with me. She said yes!  So I committed to follow it exactly from Nov 1 - Thanksgiving.

4) Young & Raw
Sounds like a sleezy nightclub, right?  They have raw & whole food cleanses and meal plans that lay out all the ingredients, preparation charts, recipes, support, etc.  I needed something regimented because I'm such a cheater when it comes to food, so this was perfect.  

Every morning starts with a big glass of water with lemon & a pinch of salt.  Yum.  I have a few drinks before my work out or run, and finish it after.

Then a protein smoothie made with hemp protein.  They have 4 different shakes for the 30 day plan.  My favorite is the kale, cucumber, celery, ginger, parsley, cilantro, chia, banana blend. I used to dislike half of those ingredients and had never tried kale.  But now I LOVE them all!  I also have 2 cups of fruit (berries & citrus with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast or chia seeds) and a soft-boiled egg if I feel like it.


Lunch is 2-3 hours later, the heartiest meal of the day. This is where the starch should be.  Here are a few of my favorites....  


 Waldorf Caesar Salad

 Lentil Avacado Salad

Mango Avacado Salad

 Green salad with Orange Tahini Dressing

Steamed Yam & Collard Greens

 Wild Rice & Veggies



 Kale Tahini Salad

Pear & Cilantro Salad

 

  "The Business" (Curried Quinoa, broccoli and kale salad from The Bronze Cafe)
 


Snack is a couple hours later...  

Chili Avacado Dip with Peppers

Berries with Seeds
 not pictured:  energy balls, carob balls, apple or celery with almond butter, apple basil juice, trail mix, chia berry pudding, etc.  Love snack time!


And dinner is light ...

Zucchini pizza boats 


 Portabello Pizzas



 Zucchini Pasta with Tomato Basil Marinara

No Bean Chili with Avacado


 Raw Pizza from Greens & Proteins
 

Other dinner favorites:  Steamed Asian Bowl (with Bok Choy - my new crush!), Chipotle Yam Soup, Yam Leek Soup, Miso Soup, Pizza Salad, Caesar Salad (with lemon/pine nut dressing) and Mashed Yam w/ Coconut & Peas.  Last night I made Eggplant Lentil Coconut Curry that my family devoured.  Who knew Vegan could taste so good!

But not always. Some of the recipes I tried were gross (not pictured, and banished from my recipe book).  Since I committed to follow the program exactly, I ended up skipping some meals because they made me gag.  But otherwise, I was eating a ton, rarely hungry, and was incredibly healthy.  Since Nov 1st, my kids have been through 3-4 rounds of colds, and I started to get each one, then BAM!  My body fought it off.  Also fought off a cold sore, minor acne, yeast infection, and 18 pounds of flab!!  I was 141 lbs Oct 1st and by the end of November was 123.  I haven't weighed that much since 9th grade.  

It's not all about the weight though.  It's about health. I'm respecting my body and showing my gratitude for it by feeding it good fuel. It's about feeding my kids and husband foods that will fight, not cause, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc.  It's about being free from addiction (ie sugar, caffeine), and being in sync with my body's needs. 

The downsides:  the first two weeks are tough.  It's hard to try new recipes, buy new ingredients and get the hang of new seasonings and flavors.  It's a healing/cleaning process the first couple weeks that requires stamina and fortitude!  I was short-wired and cranky because I didn't have my stand-by fixes -dairy and bread. It required a lot of time & focus, which left my family a little deprived, but Sloan was fully supportive so they managed. 

Other downsides:  my clothes don't fit! But that's actually a perk. And cost. Our grocery bill has gone up a little, but I'm still supplementing the  meals with meat, dairy & bread for for my family. Once I'm able to streamline things (convert them!), it should go back down.

The upsides: health, mental clarity, physical energy & strength, and empowerment!  For the first time I can remember, I'm not embarrassed of my stomach.  I can see my ab muscles!  I like to shop for clothes again.  I wake up with energy and don't need a mid-day nap. I have a good relationship with food now -no more love-hate. I'm passionate about finding great Vegan restaurants and new ways to cook the old family staples. I feel young.  And raw :)

So that's my story.  Hoping I'll stick to it.  
    

2 comments:

Jonah and Aja said...

So awesome! I wish I could get zucchini to grow here... those zucchini pizza boats look amazing!

So cool all you've done. I need to come visit and let you cook for me. :)

Love ya,
Sees

Sara said...

That is awesome! You rock!