A few days after camping in Mueller, the kids & I embarked on a magical 3-legged journey.
We started early on Aug 19, catching an 8am flight for Seattle.
In Seattle, we rented a car and drove to Woodinville
to see 99yr old Great-Great-Grandma Meme!
We met at Red Robin and tried to visit over the noisy lunch crowd. She told us cute stories about men hitting on her in the rest home and living near Denver as a girl.
The kids quickly warmed to her, Reggie even gave her a smooch.
From there we went to her apartment where Reggie got his hand stuck in the elevator door as it was opening. He'll probably remember that one till he's 80!
We visited for 20 mins or so, talking about Meme's recent bday party at the race track, and her glory days as a jockey. Her family owned a racehorse when she was in her early 20's and she raced it a couple times (and won!).
so sad to leave Meme - wish we could see her all the time
Back to the airport to wait for flight #2. I made the tragic mistake of keeping my phone on Denver time, so we had an extra 90 mins to kill in the terminal. -time we could've spent with meme :(
finally time to board
from the Bellingham airport, a short walk to the private terminal for flight #3
our pilot
who did you say was flying this plane?
Papa!
we woke up to porpoises swimming in the sound off the balcony
so much do to
It was late evening, but the water looked so clean & inviting. I was sad I didn't have my suit on. But noticed that Papa did...
Here Reggie, hold this stick (Reggie was so confused)
Here Reggie, hold this stick (Reggie was so confused)
he ran back toward the trees and pulled off his top
and let out a war cry
that's my dad!
morning visit to North Beach tide pools
hermit crabs & sea stars
amazing little creatures
time to go
couldn't wait
bowling on the lawn
one of my favorite re-models on the island
horseshoe lake
didn't catch anything (found out later the lake is basically fish-less right now), so home for a more dependable version...
last night there - I insisted on the peak
the real reason we came...
home in time for more rides
I think he really thinks he's Spider-Man
trying to cram it all in the last day - Papa told Luke he could skip his nap if he'd lay down on the front steps. Half a second later...
I did a little weeding... tamed the secret garden
one more stop at the lake
met up with my childhood buddy Erin
proud to say my one & only ice cream cone of the trip - to die for! good thing I waited till the last day!!
sad goodbyes :(
back to the 3-legged monster of a journey home
a little easier this time on the night flight... all the kids crashed (but dragging them & our luggage through the Denver airport at midnight was another story)
back in time for a City Park picnic
and a long, gorgeous ride home
daily life
1st day of 2nd grade
We got soooo lucky getting Ruthie into Swigert. It's only a few blocks away from us, but has a long waiting list to get in because it's a great school (#1 in Denver). I'd been working with the Swigert secretary since April to get Ruthie in, but they weren't taking a single student from the 2nd grade waitlist, so I wasn't hopeful. A week before school was to start, I gave up and bought the uniforms for High Tech, and was on my way to tour the school when Swigert's secretary called. She said they had a spot for Ruthie! I think I might've screamed.
On top of it, she is in her friend Karli's class and got to sit across from her! (in the white sweater). So thankful for these blessings... makes a big difference to me to be able to walk or ride with her to school, for her to continue learning Spanish, and to be with a few good friends.
with her lovely teacher, Ms. Works
Our first day of walking Alex (I picked up a dog-walking job to ease my guilt of not letting the kids have a dog of their own.)
looks like she had a happy 1st day
Ruthie made the invites
Sloan took Reggie camping the night before his party
the next morning he brought him home just in time to get into costume
one by one the guests arrived...
Marley
Quincy
we started off with a bug hunt
then a bug toss (into a web) and a jumping contest
next into the spiderweb!
they each had a colored string to follow and wind into a ball
it was overwhelming (even for the adults)
presents
not yet luke
cute little bunch
family celebration





































































































No comments:
Post a Comment