2 December - the day we can call UNLV to see whether Sloan has been accepted to dental school. I wake up, look up the phone number and dig through my purse for the phone card, go to the kitchen to find Sloan making oatmeal, Ruthie wishing me an enthusiastic 'good morning', the city fogged out from our 15th floor apt.
I dial, Sloan figures out what I'm doing, says he's not ready for the disappointment and leaves the room. He comes back as I ask the admissions lady whether he's been accepted. He isn't on the first list, so we need to call back in January. They say the first list is mostly for NV residents, so don't give up, just call back in Jan. Ok.
We eat our oats, get ready, Sloan has a meeting at the studio with Simon about Tangled and comes back to pick us up. Ruthie and I are planning to go to the zoo, but as we drive the rain gets worse and traffic is bad, so we re-route and take Sloan to work 15 mins south of where we live. We are feeling a little down. We both admit we're already hungry for lunch (at 10:15, a bad sign) while Ruthie is singing "We are a Happy Family" in the back seat.
I drop Sloan off and don't know where to go. Ruthie is bounding with energy and the worst option would be to go home to our tiny apartment. The indoor play centers are too expensive. Oh wait! There's McDonald's. I'm desperate.
We stay for 2 hours. At first, there is only 1 little boy. Older than Ruthie but much smaller, as usual. More boys come. Eventually there are about 8 boys and Ruthie's in heaven. She clicks with 1 boy especially, and manages to give him a kiss on the lips as they play tag. But his mom takes him home shortly after (sorry!) and Ruthie comes to me and says "Mom, I want another boy!"And then I realize it's probably time for us to go as well!
We walk home from the church -where we park the car- through the rain, eat Cheetos, pears and PBJs for lunch, read some books and try to nap (she took a 4 hr nap yesterday, so it didn't happen today). We watch Opera. A few more hours till Dad comes home... maybe it's time to finally work on our Christmas cards. Or I could just blog instead :)
Here's the last month in pictures:
Mission Bay with the Maahs
Sand for lunch!
Halloween
Fairy-princess-wear-everything-you-can-find-in-the-dress-up-basket-costume
Maree's magic face-painting at the ward party
(see - Ruthie's sitting still! Magic!)
so proud of my little girl. a finger-toe prodigy.
Performing in Newmarket - keeping the dream alive! Sloan has been doing more writing... so excited for this next batch of songs. There will be some male vocals (by Sloan). Yes! The songs are beautiful.
While Sloan was Stateside for his interview I tried to plan every day carefully so I wasn't left with big long, lonely days. I was still lonely, but Ruthie and I did some girl bonding and managed to have a little fun during the 6 days...
Carpe' Diem at the High Str water fountain
And after stake conference Sunday, we went out to Piha with the Dennisons, Maahs and Maree and enjoyed the gorgeous beach...
LeNae (from WA), Ruthie (born NZ), me, Maree (from Norfolk Is), Katie (from Utah) - somehow we all ended up buddies in New Zealand! Love these globe-trotting gals.
Thanksgiving at Bishop's house
Turkey, fried chicken, meatballs, chop sui, ribs, kumera, yams, taro, ETC
root beer floats and strawberry rhubarb cobbler for dessert. Mmm. We're still full.

Photo by Ruthie of Sister Satele- one of my favorite people in NZ. Big, big heart. A wise, warm lady.Christmas Parade in the Maah's front lawn
Christmas Parade after-party
YO GABBA GABBA!
the after-after party

The Ruthie girl
As we were singing in the car yesterday, after finishing "Twinkle Twinkle" Ruthie asked "Mom, Do you have any questions?" I couldn't think of a single one! I just had to laugh!
I'm so happy the sun is finally here. There are rainy days, like today, but mostly there is sun, and the promise of more and more sun. Oh summertime, how I love you. Come enjoy it with us.
















4 comments:
YEAH! I am so glad you blogged :o) That Thanksgiving dinner sounds like a yummy interesting mix! When do you get to come home to visit?
I love it! I love the "real day" and all the pics. You made me want to keep track of more "real days"! Good luck to Sloan when you call in Jan!
What a fun-filled time! Nice job on taking such great pictures to capture the wonderful memories. Ruthie is growing up so fast--we still look at the picture of Ruth and Kai from your Phoenix condo back when they were only 1. We'll be praying that you receive excellent news in January!
With all your internet you need to use up this week, I hope you blog again!
Post a Comment