Loving October in Auckland. Most days. Things have slowed down quite a bit, waiting for the Tangled live act (management, band members) to get sorted while the single goes out to the world slowly but surely and Sloan continues to push himself at work and tennis while I spend my days with Ruthie roaming the city. I've been pretty restless and 'bored' (I hate that word!), so when the 3-day weekend came around, we took advantage and went on a camping trip. We also had fun putting on a little 10K/10K couples relay... more to come on that one!
First off, daily life in the city. There aren't many kids around, so she gets recruited here & there from the baby-starved college kids...
look for the dangling foot
Never too shy to make herself at home!
(this library is a block away, sort of is our 2nd home)
Her favorite "monkey bar". She hangs and hangs.
Daily hug for the rams.
We got free tickets to see "Jack and the Beanstock". Ruthie loved it SO much, she couldn't stop crying when the show stopped for intermission. She kept asking us "What's happening??" Unfortunately, city living exposes her to more of the crazy stuff, like really fake boobs and painful high heels. We also catch her smoking crayons.
And now for exclusive coverage of the
famous couples relay!
It was a much anticipated, much trained for event.
We handed out a hundred of these awesome fliers designed by Mike Maahs
a month in advance and went through painstaking efforts to make sure we were ready for the throngs of people that would inevitably turn up. Did we need a permit? Should we arrange for medical staff? The day of the race finally came, and with no registrations turned in, we weren't sure WHAT to expect.
We were glad we didn't go crazy with preparations, because the perfect number of people turned up (and thankfully no medical staff needed). It was a gorgeous clear morning and the sun was out and we were excited to
run.
Last minute stretching and air tossing
On your mark, get set....
go!
cheaters
so much excitement!
excitement starting to wane here at the 5K mark
the trade off...
way to go President Newman!
One...more...mile...
The Finish Line
And the after-party picnic which was also doubled as a
Happy 28th Birthday Katie! We love you!

those kids are grabbing for vegetables in case you were wondering. crazy kiwis.
Alright, I know this post is getting uber-long, but bear with me for one more event. That being our weekend away from the city for a camping trip.
It started, as all good things do, at Pokeno for Tip Top Ice Cream (worth coming to NZ for, I promise)...
from there, we went to Hamilton for a little temple time and caught up with friends. And the next morning we went to a family ward (with a real live nursery!) and we were sneaky and got there at 10am, put Ruthie in nursery, went to Sunday School, then Sacrament Mtg w/o Ruthie - Muahaha! It was a treat for me, a first toddler-free moment at church in a while.
From Hamilton, we were off to explore the coast east of Hunua, ending up at a campsite on the beach of Tapapakanga. Thanks Aj - awesome recommendation!
We set up camp then headed down for a walk along the beach.
Ruthie found a big dead bird and cradled it in her arms as she walked behind us. We didn't realize she'd found a pet - when I saw what she was holding I SCREAMED and she dropped it).
Which reminds me of the next day when we were staying at Ambury, another awesome regional park, this one with farm animals for the kids, and Ruthie grabbed on to the electric fence with one hand, started getting shocked, then let go and grabbed on with the other hand until I came and pulled her off! Hello!! It was so sad. But she was fine and loves talking about it now. I got shocked the next morning when I put a wet towel on the fence. There were a bunch of guys in tents next to us who saw and laughed. Good thing our tent was a giant British flag so I was incognito (sorry Grants! haha).
our very british tent on the right...
So, the next blog entry will be Halloween and a report on Sloan's trip home for his UNLV dental school interview. If you're in Vegas Nov 10-13 and want to give him some encouraging pep talks, he'd probably love it!






























6 comments:
Ana says: This was a very funny blog. I liked the part "What's happening?" when Ruthie went to Jack and the Beanstalk. I miss you guys.
I say: This was an AMAZING post. Can I post it on my blog as my post?!?! You are so funny. Sloan must be rubbing off on you ;)
Miss you guys so much. We miss New Zealand almost as much.
You are such a great blogger! I'm so iimpressed that you put together a couples race. That is so cool and so out of the box! (You looked great, BTW) Just have to ask, is there a plan for Ruthie's hair? Maybe a baret until one formulates...bless her heart...she's like one of those little dogs who always has their hair in their eyes.)
I love your blog! I want to come visit you so much (if I do, will you take me to get ice cream too?!). I'm glad you and your family are doing well. Love your music and it's official, I'm a facebook Tangled fan! Rooting for you...Goodwins
I just have to say that Ruthie makes for the funniest stories!!! I can't believe the funny things that happen through her! A BIG dead bird! Wow!
Also, it's true, you do loo REALLY good! I wish we could come out and visit. How much longer will you be there again? :O) We probably couldn't afford it for like the next ten years anyway. I am glad things are going well.
Fun to catch up on what you've been doing. I miss you. When are you coming home?!?
I give this post a passionate two thumbs up with the top prize going to Ruthie for her extraordinary bar-hanging skills.
Post a Comment