After 2 nights in the Tetons, we made our way up through Yellowstone to Island Park, ID to join the Robison Reunion. Sloan's parents rented a big cabin for our 6 families to fit comfortably. Our family was particularly comfortable because Sloan refused to leave the travel trailer ("a captain doesn't leave his ship"), and the boys slept with him too. Ruth & I enjoyed our girlie slumber parties and my swollen lymph nodes got a break from the mold.
First night of the reunion we sat around the long kitchen table and caught up on recent life events. I got some positive feedback on the weight I've gained since Christmas (not something I worked particularly hard for, but thanks!), and I'm sure Sloan & I talked too much about our travel trailer and cruise stories. But it was a joy to see everyone and visit a little before the chaos of meal planning, body shuffling, and logistical upheaval began.
The next morning we loaded the cars for Old Faithful. We traded Ruth for Uncle Doug - for the first stretch in 600 miles, no bickering in the back seat!
wait for it...
Gwen & Reggie
Warren, Emily & Tarik
Minte & Vivien
Gwen, Ammon, Mailani
Tarik & Luke - checking out the competition
truce
Gpa's morning briefing
getting so close!
And where are our kids? totally oblivious...
Next stop:
Midway Geyser Basin
Midway Geyser Basin
Julia
Sloan & Minte
Milo
And then the dark rain clouds rolled in as we pulled up to Firehole Canyon to jump off the cliffs and swim. Sloan and Doug were back & forth on whether to brave it. It was freezing!
but if your friend jumps off a cliff...
Apparently he was dedicating his jump to me. Rowl!
We were happy to stay in the car. This little toy was the bain and blessing of the trip. I'm sure I threatened to throw it out the window 5 or 6 times because they were fighting over it. But then it was so perfect for a time like this.
Once the rain stopped, we got the guts to join them
just a little chilly
Chana, Clayne, Mailani
Mable
We were happy to be back "home" for dinner and skit & song night.
Doug had us all giggling telling the story of the bullfrog.
Sloan gave accompaniment and opted out of our family's "Robinchins" skit (layed on our backs, painted eyes on our chins, wore a shirt over our noses/heads, sang "Old McDonald")
The Gee's epic "Short People" skit in 5-part harmony
Grandpa's skit (one that his dad would do at their family reunions) had us all chuckling
After putting the kids down, we had another sing-along session, which was probably the highlight of the reunion for me. I learned some new traditional and spiritual songs and basked in the aural euphoria that is Robisons in harmony.
Vivien explained to me how she was exposed to harmony by hearing her cousins do it in their home while washing the dishes, etc. She decided that was what she wanted in her home, so from a young age, all her children learned to harmonize. How the generations will be blessed!

Vivien explained to me how she was exposed to harmony by hearing her cousins do it in their home while washing the dishes, etc. She decided that was what she wanted in her home, so from a young age, all her children learned to harmonize. How the generations will be blessed!

The next morning most of the group went back to Firehole Canyon while Sloan worked on his dental license, and a small group of us went to see a restored historical cabin near Island Park. A German craftsman named Johnny Sack built it in 1929. I loved the home and fine woodwork (esp the pressed bark trim everywhere), but was a little distracted by tweedle dee and tweedle dum
ohhh, these boys
Tarik, Emily & Warren
looking for fish with Uncle Joseph
and Uncle Doug
Last big adventure: Tubing down the Henry's Fork River. Quite a feat getting 34 of us into tubes and shuttling cars up & down the river - thanks Minte for planning and Grandpa & Doug for executing! We floated past a mama and baby moose drinking from the river and Ruthie is just sure she saw a beaver.
Unfortunately we started our ride too late in the afternoon, so we were all starved and freezing by the end. But it made us feel like we'd accomplished something important, something heroic.
Thankfully no amputations, but Reggie got another leech (he also got one in the Tetons). This is just the scab from where it latched on.

The Killians - ever healthy, radiant and color-coordinated!
Nothing sounded better coming off that river than Erin's dutch oven chicken. It was gone in minutes.
Clayne & Fiona
Robison grandsons (minus Salmon on a mission, plus cute Muthane who came with the Gees)
granddaughters
Minte & Doug
Gma & Gpa - how we love & appreciate them
Anson, Gwen, Lucy
Mable
Xander & Finley
Emily
Chana
Joseph
S'mores
Being our last night, we had our annual testimony meeting (or "what I've learned this year") which was full of light & love. This is the part of the reunion that stays with me.
A few of us stayed up late talking about the recent "ordain women" movement and other penetrating topics. I came away feeling more accepting of the range of motivations for such a movement, and more at peace with what I believe. I love having these sweet associations where I feel safe enough to explore new ways of thinking, knowing I'll come out the other side closer to truth.
A few of us stayed up late talking about the recent "ordain women" movement and other penetrating topics. I came away feeling more accepting of the range of motivations for such a movement, and more at peace with what I believe. I love having these sweet associations where I feel safe enough to explore new ways of thinking, knowing I'll come out the other side closer to truth.
In the midst of a very rushed check-out, Fiona smartly insisted we take family pictures before leaving.
Chana, Luke & Bjorn
It's ok Luke, it's just family pictures
Finlay, you have a way with babies... don't deny it
The Wrights from Dillon, MT
The Killians from Tempe, AZ
us
The Warren Robisons from Provo, UT
After saying quick goodbyes, we had lunch and went on a bike ride with the Wrights then met up for "Joseph and the ..." at the PlayBill theater in West Yellowstone. It was delightful. I loved having Ruthie snuggle with me the whole second half and the pre-show was most memorable. (we're still quoting the skits 2 months later)
That afternoon (Wednesday) Sloan got an email that his license had gone through and he'd finally be able to work! He was on the schedule for Friday morning, so we decided to stay the night in West, get up early Thursday, and make the drive home in one shot.
One more wave to the Tetons
Quick stop for dinner & dancing with locals in Rock Springs, WY
New discoveries along the way
home at midnight. Sloan set him alarm for 6:00 the next morning and missed it - he slept till 7:30, which was when his first appointment was set... can you imagine? I was so happy for him getting a full night's sleep, but not so much on his first day of work! But the rest of his day went fine, and you can bet he'll never do that again!
My work day started about the same time...

My work day started about the same time...

That night we met the Mitchell's & Robinsons for volleyball
whatchya got under there Reg?
Art festival at Cheesman Park
Sloan showing Reggie how to dig
move over Reg, time to get serious
Is that a tightrope??
Sloan had to try it
Ruth too. Harder than it looks!
Outdoor concert on the green - U2 tribute band.
Aren't tribute bands fascinating?
Elders over for dinner & serenade
boys getting into their puppet shows
Ruthie going with me to the upholstery supply store to get new fabric & foam to re-make the RV cushions. Our last shot at clearing out the mold!
Finishing out the month with a little hand foot mouth disease
Diapers irritated the rash, so we let him roam free. Wouldn't you?





















































































1 comment:
Great stuff! So fun to see a bit of the Robison reunion! Looks like fun!
Post a Comment