“Smash the Nose”

I’m really sorry for yet another long pause in our blog life, but this time it is truly merited.
Since the last blog, things were on the “up & up”… Sloan found a job that conveniently worked great with my work schedule, Ruthie was happy as ever, we were getting into a nice routine and even found a new place to live that would ease our financial burdens, plus it was a better location and came with a gym & indoor heated pool. And we were performing quite a bit, and even added a band member (Trajan on electric guitar).
And then, on moving day, Ruthie “smashed the nose” as she explains it and there went our happy bubble.
I had unhinged the incredibly heavy front door so we could get the sofas out, and explained to Ruthie not to touch the door and showed her how it would fall. And then went on doing dishes, and I hear her screaming in terror as she has pulled the door down on top of her. I pushed the door aside and blood everywhere and I picked her up and tried to comfort her, both of us shaking, grabbed my purse and rushed her to the emergency room. Then waited for a very long 3 hours (while she played as if nothing had happened).


ER #1

ER #2


As you can see, the swelling was already too bad to tell whether her nose was broken, but THANKFULLY, so thankfully, there were no other concerns or damage to the skull or brain. I was so relieved to hear it might just be a broken nose.

This might sound cliche', but I attribute her being ok to a blessing of food storage. I was teased that morning by everyone who helped us move about how much water storage I had saved up, and had dumped most of it out, but left a few full water bottles to the side of the fridge, which broke the fall of the door and might have saved her life. Not exactly how I thought the food storage would come in handy! But I'm not complaining :)

It took 2 wks for the swelling to go down enough to know if it was broken, and by then they said it probably did break, but the doctor called it a green stick fracture, meaning the bone is supple enough it will bend back to the original form. It's looking a lot better now, and she tells the story with a little less terror (her version: "door fall, crash, bang, smash the nose!" with arm movements).

the swelling a few days later


the bruising a week later


To make it a little more of a sob-story, Ruthie picked up a nasty cold/flu from the hospital and was miserable for a week following the smash. And then I got it. And now I have a sinus infection. But Ruthie is healthy and happy again, so it makes my being sick a lot easier.

On the bright side, we love our new place. We right in the city, close the chapel (where we park the car) and library. We use the pool almost daily and are surrounded by great friends. We have a nice view from the 15th floor and it’s north-facing, so all-day sunshine. The place is small, but cozy.

Music needs to pick back up again soon. It's all been put on hold with moving, Ruthie-drama, and now my being sick, but we're getting ready to release the first single, so we can't give up now.

Sadly, the Eyres moved back to the States last week, and we miss them Always. Ruthie loves her aunt "Ayshie" & Jonah & Cam Cam & Ana & Elsie and we wish they didn't have to go (but really, they had to go ... see her blog for forthcoming details).

Love and hugs from down under.
Come visit.


Dress ups

Chillin with the cousies

Bubbles with Elsie

A real live merry-go-round


Downward-dog

Temple in Hamilton

Girls' night out/goodbye to Charmain Grant :(

the ward dance, from Ruthie's point of view

chillin with Candice

happy at play group

guess who's in the suitcase?

love kick

5 comments:

Emily H. said...

Hey Sonna girl! oh man, Ruthie's poor nose! Reminds me of the time my little Sadie popped her wrist and she just looked way too young for that kind of injury. Hey I've checked out your Tangled site and think your music is super fabulous! To think I once sang with a real, famous recording artist- SO cool! :) I can't wait hear more! Please keep us updated on all the music stuff cause I love to hear about it!

The Young Family Inc. said...

Poor Ruthie! I am glad she is such a little tropper! My mom always says, "It's by the grace of God these kids make it through the day!"

Becky Chatwin said...

Yeah you are back!!! Food storage rocks! I am so happy that Ruthie is okay and that it wasn't worse than it was. Email me when you have time!

Jonah and Aja said...

sooooooooooooooo cute!

Katrina said...

Poor thing. Her nose looks like it hurts so bad! I am glad life is getting a little easier over there. Blog more and keep us posted :)