April 1st, Sloan's sister Lindsay and her 4 kids were driving through on their move to Mesa intending to stay with us for 2 nights. We spent a day at Springs Preserve and let the kids see Sloan's clinic, made spring rolls, and released a butterfly we got as a caterpillar...
Annie, Josie & Graham are 7 yr old triplets, Ruthie, 9 yr old Mable and Reggie
brand new butterfly
waiting for him to take off... and he did! fluttered all over the place, then got control and flew away. Fun for the kids, but even more fun for Lindsay & me :)
making spring rolls
Sloan's clinic
And then, they were happily on their way when their transmission died in Boulder City. They were stranded here for another 5 days! This was a hard reality for all of us, because in our 3 bedroom house, 7 kids under 9 is a lot of kids. Plus, hosting Lindsay is stressful because she doesn't eat like the rest of the world: she lives a higher law. She grinds her own wheat, pre-soaks it in natural yeast to make bread & pasta, makes her own condiments with whey (as in 'curds and whey'), avoids refined sugars, ferments her lemonade, eats grass-fed beef and drinks raw milk. The truth is, I love her food and have been slowly converting to her methods, and this week of companionship was baptism by immersion.
It was good timing actually because I'd just decided to go off refined sugar for the month of April, so when my withdrawals started around day 3, I couldn't backslide. Lindsay is a vast source of knowledge when it comes to clean eating, so I was a humble pupil (for the most part... sometimes it comes at unwanted times, or too fast, and I buckle). But I learned so much that week, for one:
making pasta from whole wheat soaked in natural yeast
And the list would go on & on... hindu lemonade, whey, breads, pre-soaked granola, using pure maple syrup, stevia, pink Himalayan salt, Kefir, Kombucha, Tillimook cheese (because not pasteurized), not buying ultra-pasteurized cream, buying organic/grass fed, ETC. I learned a ton and have incorporated most of it, never to go back to my old ways. To prove it, I've cleared our cupboards of sugar cereals and most processed junk! Yeah!
Sloan's indoor soccer game Friday night
Ruthie-brewster
Ruth's game Saturday morning
Ruth has a powerful kick, she's a strong defender, and she's fast. Her only drawback is that she's spacy. But I think it's cute.
Saturday & Sunday conference - Bingo!
And the Tunnels trail
it was windy, but gorgeous as usual
Back to just us...
these boys are buds
Reggie 'helping' me add some plants to the garden
grow, baby, grow!
not quite the garden of eden...
but almost!
Sloan was invited to talk about his mission at a youth fireside one Sunday night. He had a month to prepare, so it gave him a chance to go through his journals & pictures and reminisce. Look at him so squeaky clean.
The youth love him -- he keeps it real, invites the spirit, and makes them laugh. Plus he's a great storyteller. I shuffled between listening to him outside the door to keeping an eye on the librarians...
The youth love him -- he keeps it real, invites the spirit, and makes them laugh. Plus he's a great storyteller. I shuffled between listening to him outside the door to keeping an eye on the librarians...
ahhh!
Reggie, Reggie, Reggie
the one & only!
still my little heart-throb
but then there's this guy too
getting his crawl on
looks like it's time to drop the 10pm feed
bike ride to Vons park
giggling and snuggling all the way home
sometimes your food tastes so good you gotta take a picture of it, right?
At the end of each school day, Ruth's teacher gives each kid a "Smartie Pants" to collect and turn in for a prize once they get enough (10 blue or 15 green). They get green if they were good, blue if they were really good, yellow and red not so good. Well, the teacher ran out of Blues, so she wrote "blue" on Ruthie's green one.
the crashman
the temple
ctr!!
first day riding her new bike to school
which happened to be superhero day
socca!
Reg got the buzz. Sloan did it while I was out shopping one afternoon. Caught me as I pulled into the garage to warn me that no one was hurt, that it was going to be ok, and not to panic. And then he released the Reg.
I panicked. And almost started to cry. So short! His head so white and huge!! No more curls when he gets sweaty :( He suddenly went from toddler to kid.
Ohhhh well, just hair. I'm over it.
Ohhhh well, just hair. I'm over it.
(But thank goodness it's growing back)
After soccer, we loaded up for Dana Point. Sloan had a 2 week break, so we started out getting some shadowing experience in Temecula and OC.
Barstow
While he shadowed, my mom & I took the kids to The Wild Animal Park in SD.
Safari!
They had a mother rhino in an enclosure and said she had just kicked out her 2 yr old son because she was ready to mate again. I laughed out loud because as much as I adore Reggie it was not hard for me to imagine! This mother's baby was still young enough for her to tolerate :)
Reg was havin the best day.
part of the park was under construction, even better
camel crossing - love the feet!
bird show
Ruthie milkin grandma
she knows I wouldn't have done that for her!
makes a smooshed penny that much cooler
waiting to see the cheetah run
last up, the elephants (my favorite)
There was a frisky adolescent male wrestling and rolling like a puppy
perfect ending to the day!
Luvy giving pedicures while we wait for Sloan to pick us up
ride home (for Aja)
Our last night, Ken took us to an Angels game!
Baseball games are magical, patriotic, larger-than-life. I'm not good at watching for more than 2 minutes at a time, but I love to sit in the stands, shell peanuts, people-watch and dodge
foul balls. We only made it 5 innings, but we got what we came for - the experience!
past curfew
back in time for soccer!
Crew's superhero party
this is not Crew's birthday. this is Reggie getting in line for another kid's pinata while we weren't watching
from there, to the ward BBQ
3 flies up!
April 30th, Uncle Tyty's bday
























.jpg)

































































































No comments:
Post a Comment